The Rwanda Education Commons (REC) aims to help Rwanda expand access to quality education through the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). It hopes to realize this goal by improving the climate for collaboration in the use of ICTs in education, and by implementing activities that use ICTs to supplement teaching and learning.
The REC aims to realize a vision of strong and effective collaboration among education stakeholders by working within the following seven activity areas:
- Coordination: REC is establishing multi-stakeholder tools and management systems for ongoing improvement to Rwanda’s education system through the use of ICTs.
- Policy Support: REC is supporting the completion of ICT in education policy documents and support tools to ensure ICT in education activities supplement national and education sector goals, and identifying areas for partner involvement.
- Partnerships: REC is facilitating partnerships between providers of ICT in education solutions and Rwanda education institutions that support Rwanda’s education system.
- Content: REC and partner institutions aim to improve the quality and availability of education materials by identifying, reviewing, acquiring and adapting materials suitable for Rwanda’s teachers and students. REC and its partners are also are facilitating the production of new education materials.
- Capacity Building: Participants from partner education institutions are gaining skills in a variety of ICT areas, including website development and management, multimedia curriculum design, and pedagogy training around the use of multimedia education resources.
- Platform Development: REC and partner institutions are designing and implementing strategies for distributing online and offline educational resources, and working to establish a professional learning community around the use of multimedia education resources.
- Outreach and Expansion: REC hopes to alert educators throughout Africa of the potential to implement similar projects elsewhere.
The REC platform offers multiple ways to distribute and share of resources, and promote communication and collaboration.
- Online Services: The REC website provides a variety of resources for our target audience of teacher educators and learners especially at Teacher Training Colleges. The website offers information on current education news and events, supports discussion boards for each audience to promote sharing, communication, and collaboration, and offers a rich resource library to supplement learning. The resource library includes a variety of materials ranging from lesson plans, to Rwandan education policies, to past papers, to reports on early childhood development, and more. Learn more about our online services.
- Offline Services: REC engages in a variety of offline activities as well. Examples of such activities include publishing past papers in newspapers throughout Rwanda to promote student exam preparation and video recording exemplary teachers in the classroom to use as a teaching tool. Learn more about our offline services.